+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new Farmer's Institute

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

A new Farmer's Institute

Information from the District "A" Farmer's Institutes is that the Lasqueti Farmer's Institute is awaiting approval for Farmer's Institute status.
    From the looks of things, this application was made over a year ago, but was never processed. District "A" is helping the Lasqueti group press the province to get approval.
    Regardless of the delay, it's nice to see news about an increase in the number of Farmer's Institutes in BC.

Gabriola Island, just off Nanaimo on Vancouver Island

Hello from District A Farmers Institutes. We have sent a message through our lists to encourage our membership to write letters of support for Lasqueti Island Farmers Institute's application. We are accepting them as a Farmers Institute by intent, and we are also urging our membership to approach their local MLA's to demand that they also support our newest almost member.
    Watch for our letter. We will post it here when it passes our Board for approval. Jenny MacLeod, Secretary

Gabriola Island, just off Nanaimo on Vancouver Island

A little background information would be relevant here. Lasquite registered in 2008. At the time the Superintendent of Farmers Institutes was in place. I had a conversation with him and he informed me that he was doing that part of his job not just off the side of his desk, but "under the desk". Reporting to his office was still possible because there was one person to take care of this function, also off the side of her desk. The Farmers Institutes and Women's Institutes Act is still on the books, but there is no requirement for the government to confer with Farmers Institutes. That function was transferred to the BCAC, and Community Agriculture. So we sent Lasquite this information and also information on the Societies act and they elected to form a Farmers Institute. In the interim the Superintendent of Farmers Institutes retired. The position is not yet filled. There is still someone there to action the form, but no Superintendent to sign it.That should have been done a year ago. SOMEONE in the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands should be able to assume the role and have the authority to sign an application! What do you think?

farmerralph

We are the Hornby/Denman Growers and Producers Alliance, registered under the Societies Act. We were advised that there is no functional difference between going this route vs becoming a "Framers Institute" except that we were more likely to be sucessful (in our registration) in a reasonable length of time. Lasquiti's apparentlyt stalled process was noted.
    Since registering we have been able to accept donations (some very generous) and begin to seek funding from various sources. So far we have purchased a poultry processing line - soon to be assembled on a trailer for the use of our members, and are seriously pursuing the idea of a juice pressing facility. We also hope to establish an equipment coop (I always use the example of my fertilizer spreader which is worth about $3000 and which I use for about 4 hours per year).
    If we could get any information about "District A Farmers Institutes" (ahem... hello Jenny! we might be enticed to join up as well.

Ralph Walton, Greenridge Farm, Denman Island

+ Reply to Thread