+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okanagan Poultry Processing

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

Okanagan Poultry Processing

Take a look at Peggy's Okanagan Poultry Processing site: http://okpoultryprocessing.com/
    Lots of new information that seems to indicate she's making progress on her licensing, finally, after 4 years of being jerked around.
    She is aiming to be a class B processing facility.
    What this means to small-scale producers inside of the 100 km radius Peggy will operate within is that they'll be able to market their birds beyond their farmgate, because the birds will be inspected.
    This comes with a price, though...quite a high price. People wanting to use her mobile slaughter resources will need to become an approved slaughter site. There remains some question about whether processing can take place on weekends because of the dictates of the inspection regime. Her fees are high and, though she appears to be booked solid, I understand the province is resisting allowing competition, which Peggy has said she has no problem with. It will also be difficult for people who grow fewer than 100 birds but who want custom slaughtering to get that, unless they can perhaps make arrangements to use the facilities of existing approved sites.
    But, it's progress.What will remain to be seen is whether, for the price, small-scale growers will be able to be profitable under this arrangement and how marketable birds grown under small-scale on-farm conditions will be.

Both stationary plants up near kamloops JB farms and My-les poultry have transitioned to class B Congratulations guys!!!

I'm still plodding away, although progress is slow especially in the summer when all the main contacts at the various agencies seem to always be on holiday.
    That coupled with the fact that I've only booked one day off a month for my staff and myself means connecting with the various people in charge is somewhat difficult.
    There is a very good chance I'm not going to be able to have an inspector on every weekend especially in the july and august months and I my have to trim some of my customer list for next season once I have an inspector in tow.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Mahatma Gandhi

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

That's interesting. They are situated not that far apart from each other. That should mean that if you have more work than you can handle, there should be room for another processor in your area.
    Incidentally, in a meeting between Ministry people and the BC Ag Council exec the other day the question of appealing a processor application came up. The BCAC has asked that where an applicant wishes to appeal a decision, it goes up the food chain to next higher levels of authority rather than right back to the same issuing authority.

That's good, cuz the other way to appeal was asinine. Giving it to the same person who rejected it the first time to relook at it was just silly.
    As you know, by the number of processors that were in the area prior to the meat reg, we could definitely have more options without serious loss of revenue.
    I've written to both the MIES team and the CDC to inform them that I have no problem with anyone wanting to open a competitive plant in my 100k bubble of monopoly.
    I've never believed in monopolies, I think they make people complacent. Presently there are people in the okanagan who want to grow poultry who can't because I can't service them all.
    I'm actually going to go up and play in both of these newly licensed plants in the next two weeks just to see how it all works under an inspected regime.
    I seriously need a life, two days off and how am I spending them? wow!!!
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Mahatma Gandhi

Oh Dennis, just in case you were interested
    here are Terry Espenhain's prices
    http://pluckinmaniacs.com/pricing.htm
    price per bird is the same, as mine, but Travel is considerably higher

Mahatma Gandhi

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

I like his coordination suggestion. It puts the onus on producers to establish a cost-saving/cost-sharing approach by having him come to their area and even stay until the job is done for several in a given area. Given the need for producers to have approved docking stations for you to work there, it gives those having approved docking station an opportunity to help organize more efficient processing arrangements that should help keep costs down for all concerned.

+ Reply to Thread