I've had some interesting feedback following the Island Farmer's Alliance Agriculture Survival Forum the BCAC attended last Saturday. This was not, in my opinion, a great venue for the BCAC to use to discuss stable funding. Nonetheless, the feedback has been useful.
One of the things I learned is that despite what I thought was a fairly decent sense of what the BCAC stood for, it, in fact, wasn't clear. Similarly, it turns out lots don't know what the FARM Community Council is. Additionally, there seems to be agricultural groups in the province that are unassociated with each other, but which endeavor to be vibrant and active in their own ways. Here. I'm thinking of the Direct Farmer's Market groups that exist in about three regions and the BC Association of Farmer's Markets. There also seems to be individual agriculture societies, here and there.
Those who were involved in the original creation of the FARM Community Council were, I believe, intent on assuring a province-wide voice continued to be heard for those involved in farming but who were not linked closely with commodity organizations. A sort of catch-all. This is my sense. There are still people around who were there at the beginning who could correct me, if I'm wrong.
Original members included Farm-Folk, City-Folk, the farm women's associations around BC, and others in addition to the Farmer's Institutes. In the next message, I'll post the FARM Community Council Constitution.
Assuming a need exists for local agriculture to have a voice and presence and is just as relevant as all the other approaches to agriculture that take place in this province and that the BCAC is an acceptable vehicle for presenting that voice, do you think the FARM Community Council Constitution is sufficient and that the Council COULD be the vehicle for carrying forth that voice? Or, should we be starting fresh?
Look at the new post, the FARM Community Council Constitution for the constitution.