+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inter Island Sheep Breeders Assn Field Days for 2010

Frequent contributing Member
    Blog Entries

Inter Island Sheep Breeders Assn Field Days for 2010

February 20, Saturday Lori Tomsin Manor Farm, 10202 McDonald Park Rd., Sidney. (drive past house and go on to barn on right hand side.) 10:00 am 250-656-2378 countrywools@hotmail.com

March 13, Saturday Kathy Millar 2881 Mountain Rd., Duncan
    10:00 am 250-748-0487 homefarm@telus.net

April 24, Saturday Sheep Dairy – Merville, TO BE CONFIRMED

June 12, Saturday Marilyn Lindahl 6456 Cowichan Lake Rd.,
    10:00 am Duncan 250-749-6425 lindahls@shaw.ca

July 24, Saturday Campbell Farm & abbatoir Saturna Island
    TBA 250-539-2470 Nan dglogan@shaw.ca

November 6, Saturday Just a heads up about the Inter Island Sheep Breeders AGM coming up for the 6th of November, Saturday at the Cowichan Agricultural Society's Hall on Clement Street in Duncan at 10:00 am. Lunch will be provided, still working on a program. Will send out another notice later with more details.

Kathy Millar, Vice-President, IISBA
    Home Farm Shetlands
    Duncan, BC

Please contact Kathy Millar if you would like to
    host a get-together or even a barbeque!
    250-748-0487 homefarm@telus.net
    Last edited by Firhill; September 3rd,2010 at 09:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Saturna Island Sheep Field Day - July 24, 210
    Twenty producers from Vancouver Island, Gabriola Island, Mayne Island, Pender Island, Salt Spring Island and Saturna Island came together for a field day at Campbell Farm. Jacques Campbell arranged for a CFIA inspector for the demo of 5 lambs being processed. This was of particular interest to those producers who are considering building their own slaughter facility. Anita O'Brien came for the CSF Traceability Pilot Study to show the participants how the Psion reader works with the RFID tags. She answered questions and explained traceability and its importance in monitoring foreign animal diseases. She also discussed with producers the management benefits to the tags with the equipment that can read the tags - ie lambs were weighed, sheep's ear tags were read in a race. Lana Popham, a provincial MLA and NDP Agriculture Critic, also attended. A tour of the farm followed, then participants returned home via boat or ferry.

To see photos of the field day click on the link below.

Be sure to look at both pages of photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=a54380848c

also see http://thefarmersstand.blogspot.com[URL="http://thefarmersstand.blogspot.com"]

Barbara Johnstone Grimmer
    Pender Island

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

Thx for the post, Barbara.

Can you give a little more information on the status of the Campbell farm abbatoir? What type of license does it have? When was it upgraded? Is it set up as a mobile but is primarily stationary? Can I ask what it charges for slaughter and processing? Can one have just slaughter done and not processing? How far in advance does one normally need to book a slaughter?

Dennis

Blog Entries

Campbell Farm Abbatoir has a Class A license. It was upgraded by the deadline - I think 2007 - so that they could still legally process lamb for the annual Canada Day Saturna Island Lamb Barbeque. It is a stationary plant. They charge $45 per lamb for slaughter, I think 60 cents per lb for cut and wrap. It is slightly less - I think $35 - if you help. You can have just slaughter done. I don't know how far in advance - they are pretty accomodating.
    The Campbell's aren't in the business of slaughtering livestock - they operate seasonally so in June they are doing the Canada Day lambs, then they do some in July after hay is in, then they do some in August after a break in early August. Most slaughtering happens in the fall up until Christmas. Toward the end they do cattle. Their focus is to do their farm's animals, their neighbour's animals on Saturna, and they have done lambs for me for the past two years, and I will have them done again this fall. Their location is good for some islands, but not so good for others, which also is limiting.

Regarding the upgrade, the size of the plant hasn't changed. Just some cosmetic changes ie the surface of the walls, finishing the ceiling. They built a workshop/office next to the plant to accomodate an office, workshop, walk in freezer, CFIA office, bathroom and shower, and guest room. They did have to construct a septic field, designate a waste area, SRM area.

Barb

Dennis Lapierre
    Blog Entries

I'm paying $70.00 for kill, cut and wrap at Riverside Meats near Salmon Arm, and an additional $7.50 for waste disposal. The owner of it isn't a producer. I understand he will soon be offering slaughter only. The last time I had a lamb done there and asked for it to be left whole, it was the same $70.00 price.
    I believe he operates under a class "B" license.
    The place has been up for sale for a while.

Blog Entries

]http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/saltspringislanddriftwood/news/100645739.html?utm_source=Driftwood+Email+List&utm _campaign=afb1dbf177-Driftwood_e_dition_July_23_20107_28_2010&utm_mediu m=email

Friday News Update - Mobile abattoir funding comes through.

Salt Spring livestock producers have learned they are eligible to receive a grant of at least $100,000 towards a mobile meat processing unit if they can raise matching funds

I completely agree with you.You have done an great job.. Such an informative and well formed post!

Cheap Credit Cards | Home Loan Lenders --OR-- Home Loan Lending

+ Reply to Thread