+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belted Galloway Cattle

Belted Galloway Cattle

Is there any chance of finding these in coastal BC or anywhere in BC?
    We are looking for a breed that can live in a mild coastal climate (46 inches per year), do well with a good bit of browse and be resistant to hoof problems.
    Thanks.
    Bill

Hello Bill: I think there is a fellow on Salt Spring, Gavin Johnstone that is (or has) raised Belted Galloway cattle. His phone number is: 653-9148. I just read a post that he is going to be giving a short talk on our local radio station about raising Galloways so I thought he might be a good contact for you in your search for stock. Regards, Susan

sorry this will sound very vague, but there is a small herd just past Enderby in the north okanagan....I see them at a farm just past the junction of hwy 97A and 97B they are easy to see from the hwy 97B (the salmon arm side)...I do't know the name of the farm, but this may jog someone elses memory, or you could look up this are on google...and do some sleuthing with canada 411 or something. I know theyre rare to see.

Bill, have you considered Dexters? There are quite a few breeders in the Interior and PG. If they can handle the Irish and Scottish climate, they should do OK in the Charlottes.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    Bill, have you considered Dexters? There are quite a few breeders in the Interior and PG. If they can handle the Irish and Scottish climate, they should do OK in the Charlottes.

Kathy
    Thanks, Kathy. Yes, we have considered Dexters. There are even a few here on these Islands, free ranging with no supplemental feed at all. We think the double coat of the Galloway might be an advantage over the Dexters in our wet winters. Also, we wanted a true meat type rather than a dual purpose breed. But, we have a lot to learn!
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread