The Farmer's Stand

A farmer's viewpoint on farming, from the vantage point of the Gulf Islands. We are a product of the past, and heading to an uncertain and undetermined future.

1. Future of Jersey Cows for the Gulf Islands

by on April 22nd,2010 at 10:23 AM (The Farmer's Stand)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firhill View Post
    “Rich and silky, an organic cheese to make you anything but blue” Globe and Mail, January, 2010
    “Sin on a cracker” Macleans Magazine – on Moonstruck organic cheese

Susan and Julia Grace own Moonstruck Dairy on Salt Spring Island, one of the first certified organic dairy and cheese producers in BC. At first, their farm was like most in the Gulf Islands. Part of island farming heritage, it was the former 1890's homestead of the Beddis family. Susan and
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Gulf Island Farmers

by on February 2nd,2010 at 10:16 PM (The Farmer's Stand)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firhill View Post
    This is a spot for farmers on the various islands to share ideas and communicate with each other.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Climate Change solutions by farm communities

by on December 30th,2009 at 02:03 PM (The Farmer's Stand)
    “A crisis makes people much more open to new ideas”
    Soren Hermensen, vegetable farmer from Island of Samsoe, Denmark

It isn't surprising to me that an island of farmers, half the size and less than half the population of Salt Spring, have found themselves to be the first industrialized place to qualify as being completely energy self-sufficient. Samsoe, an island that once produced 45,000 tonnes of CO2 per year – 11 tonnes per capita – now produces -15,000 tonnes and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Majestic Turkey

by on December 28th,2009 at 12:53 PM (The Farmer's Stand)
    “For my part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the representative of our Country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly....For the truth the Turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird and withal a true original Native of America...a bird of courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his farm yard with a red coat on”
    Benjamin Franklin, 1774 in letter to his daughter regarding ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized