Recent Blogs Posts

1. The great Grain train...

by on December 1st,2011 at 02:14 PM
    December 1, 2011
    The great Grain train….

Well, this didn’t take long to get more good stuff to write about… Turns out, we figured last evening would be the night we wanted to try getting the cattle to come up for their grain ration. Well, by the time the boys and I started out, it was almost dusk and we figured we wouldn’t have much time before the light left us. My youngest and I stayed on the quads whilst my older boy headed over to the trailer to get the grain ready… He ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Life on a Cariboo Ranch, Part time of course...

by on November 30th,2011 at 11:20 AM
    November 30, 2011

A Blog about us…

You’ll have to bear with me as this is something that is new to me, but I appreciate this site and the information that it can provide so I would like to contribute a bit on the lighter side from time to time.

This is kinda looking like its going to shape up to be a weekly trials and tribulations of our ranching experiences….

I’ll start simple, after that…. Be warned, we deal with most of the issues on ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Why I support the HST

by on June 1st,2011 at 08:49 AM
    Everyone has their own reasons, right?
    Mine are based on two: what it means to me as a small scale farmer and, secondly, my complete lack of confidence in anything that VanderZalm is touting as fact.
    Having had the opportunity to experience the difference between both tax regimes, I must agree with the latest pro-hst points of argument that relate to food production that have been outlined by the Smart Tax Alliance. Here's two points that group made, which I agree with:
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The irony of finding bacteria on store-bought chicken

by on February 15th,2011 at 12:37 PM
    I trust I'm not the only one seeing the irony of this.

I'm referring to the CBC revelation about the amount of bacteria found on raw chicken. Some of it is resistant to antibiotics, which is itself a problem, but it also shows that bacteria occurs on raw meat no matter where it is processed.

So, as a small-scale poultry producer growing chickens during the warm season on my pasture, I've been facing a struggle for over four years to get predictable processing. The issue ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The difference thoughtful comments can make.

by on February 1st,2011 at 11:09 AM
    Those who are registered to this site will have received a notice from me today notifying of the outcome of the weekend inspection problems that were being faced by Wilma and Keith Watkins of Walk-In Acres. They provide a poultry slaughter service for local small-lot producers and were looking at not being able to operate unless they could have weekend inspections. Their letter to the relevant Ministers is posted on the Forum.

What are not posted, but which I had the privilege of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast